<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/37667992?origin\x3dhttps://livinginfsr.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

flickr

Blessings...

Sunday, June 17, 2007


Sorry it took so long to update my blog. Still working on getting internet access in the dorm room. That is probably one of the biggest things I took for granted while in America, that is, the ease of accessing the internet almost anywhere at anytime. I miss the luxury of wireless internet, and many times free wireless internet, where I can carry my laptop to almost any local coffee shop, various restaurants, or even picking up a wireless signal in my apartment from some other person's router within the apartment complex. In this city, I have yet to find free wireless internet. I can't even connect my computer to an existing live cable line with out having to first register my computer, retrieving a password, and then setting up a new Local Area Connection. Lately, the only practical access I have to internet is a 45 minute bus ride...or 30 minute bike ride (I'll talk about that in a minute). With all that to say, thanks for being patient with me and hopefully in the near future I'll be able to update more often.

Four days from now marks my one month anniversary in the city. The time has truly gone by so fast. You know the saying, “Time flies when your having fun”. Well I'm a testimony to that. I think another saying that would fit me is, “Time flies when your having to study a language that is hard to understand and speak correctly, traveling anywhere in the city, keeping up with emails and updates, and seeking new relationships with university students.” Try saying all that in one breath! But really, I feel that I have been kept pretty busy since my arrival, which is good thing. Studying the language has been fun and not too difficult yet. Meeting with fellow workers here and making new friends within my university campus has been a blast!




I really love the people who live int his country. They are so hospitable and caring, which doesn't appear to be the obvious at first, but once a person gets past the outwardly appearance their true kindness can be seen. For example, some of the pictures you see above were taken one evening when some of the first year English students, from the university's language department, invited me and some other American friends to have home made pancakes in their dorm room. Now this is after they had given us a tour around the city, including the local zoo. The ladies went straight to the kitchen and started preparing them, while the guys stayed in the room and chatted about why one of them had a pink toilet seat hanging on their wall. Apparently, it was a birthday gift. I'm thankful to Him for the time I was able to spend with these students because it was the start of relationships that I have been asking for. What an encouragement to know that pr's are heard and answered when they are of benefit to the kingdom!




Well...remember one of my older posts entitled Got Bike?. Those of you who know me well remember how much I enjoy riding my old bike, Suse, throughout the desert mountains of New Mexico. Just a few days ago I met a new friend at a local shop who I took home with me. His name is Sled, and yes, he is my new bike! I've been wanting to get one since I arrived in the city because it would be faster for getting around the city, for some situations, and plus I can ride it on some of the trails throughout the sporadic patches of forests within the city. Oh by the way, does anyone know the relationship between the two names I gave to my bikes? If you really want to know how I gave these bikes the names they have, leave a comment asking about it and I'll be sure to post the reason why. So to all of the boys back home in NM from the “zoo” and bike lovers around, here's to you.


Just for laughs, here's a quick story about the above picture. I was carrying that bag around town which contained invitations for people to receive a free copy of the Word, which we we're distributing in mail boxes. Well, I was traveling on one of the trams minding my own business and when I looked up I saw young guy kinda giggling and laughing at me, while looking at the bag I was holding. I thought to myself, “What's so funny? Surely he's not laughing at me but at someone standing behind me.” A few seconds later this guy tapped his friend, who was standing next to him, and he started to laugh and giggle as well after he saw the bag I was carrying. I was totally stumped! I could not figure out why they were laughing at me?! When I finally got off of the tram I immediately asked my friend, whose name is “M”, what the words written on the bag meant. He then laughed as well and told me “Dude, it says Long-grain rice. Quality made in Vietnam”. I tell you what, I couldn't stop laughing after I heard that. Ohhhh the joys of being Asian looking and not knowing the language.

Bookmark this post to del.icio.us Digg this post! Bookmark this post to Yahoo! My Web Bookmark this post to Furl
  1. Blogger The Minstrel | 9:59 AM, June 17, 2007 |  

    Pey Pey...Sled looks like a great bike and the bag story was hilarious. I would love to know the connection between the two names of the bikes sometime...later friend

  2. Blogger Masha | 9:41 PM, June 17, 2007 |  

    Pey Pey,
    I died laughing reading about the the rice!!! Thats is sooooo funny!

  3. Anonymous Anonymous | 6:08 PM, June 18, 2007 |  

    Bro, it's good to hear from you!! What's with the bikes?? Did you find any ka-vos?? And oh yeah, I'm lifting you up.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous | 11:29 AM, June 19, 2007 |  

    I'll be honest...I'm a little jealous with regards to the pancakes...so good. You sound good bro :) Lifting you up to father!

  5. Blogger :Jason: | 1:10 PM, June 19, 2007 |  

    i miss you......we must talk sooon

  6. Anonymous Anonymous | 3:10 PM, June 19, 2007 |  

    Hey Peyton,

    good to see the update - good to see you with a bike - sorry no cyber connection - hope that works out soon - keep the walk strong - expect great things

  7. Blogger Matthew | 8:14 AM, June 20, 2007 |  

    Well, Peyton, I enjoyed reading the update though I did enjoy more chatting with you last night (through the haze and bio-hazard contamination left from DRank's accident). Further, Suse and Sled. How? Why?

    I need your rice bag here in chinese because that would throw them for so many loops. It would be the greatest thing ever!

    Love you bro and DRank! Enjoy!

  8. Blogger Peyton | 4:24 AM, June 21, 2007 |  

    So here's my explanation on the bike names. My favorite Operating System for computers, by far, is Linux. In general, the three most widely used are Linux, Windows, and MacOS. There are several different distributions of Linux and my favorite one is Suse Linux, hence the name of my first bike. Sled, which stands for Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop, is the name of my new bike. This is the version of Suse Linux that a consumer can purchase which comes with user support. Does this make sense? Yeah...I'm a nerd.

  9. Blogger Chris | 10:05 PM, June 21, 2007 |  

    I don't think nerd does you justice. Honestly, I can't think of word that would. It was good talking to you for a minute. Hopefully, sometime in the near future I will get to talk to you for a little longer. I'm lifting you up.

  10. Anonymous Anonymous | 8:17 AM, June 25, 2007 |  

    Dude, I'm engaged!

  11. Blogger Randy | 10:28 AM, June 27, 2007 |  

    Peyton,

    Glad to hear things are going well.
    We will be praying for you in Anchorage.

    Randy
    Grandview Baptist

  12. Blogger Matt | 8:32 PM, July 04, 2007 |  

    yea, you are a nerd! hey man...guess what..."im from the west coast!"

  13. Anonymous Anonymous | 10:44 AM, July 13, 2007 |  

    Love the Bike you are hilarious!
    -Janelle

Leave your response