Tuesday, July 24, 2007
So for the past two months these four American guys in the picture above, all from New Mexico State University (my alma mater! woohoo!), were studying at the same university as I where they took a language and culture class. Their time here in the big city had finally come to an end and just a couple days ago and they flew back to America. It was sad to say "Goodbye" because I really enjoyed having them here as I watched them share their lives and faith boldly with the people here. I'm proud of you guys and already miss having your company! I am a little jealous, though, because I know they get to eat as much green chili burgers and burritos as they can stuff. Yeah....I think green chili is probably the greatest fruit ever! (I wasn't sure if chili was a fruit or vegetable. So here is what wikipedia had to say about it: "The chili pepper, or more simply just "chili", is the fruit of species of the plant Capsicum from the nightshade family, Solanaceae.") Anyways....it's real good! Hey guys...eat a lot for me!
Speaking of fruits and vegetables, check out these eggplants! They're huge! Before the summer guys left back to New Mexico I was able to join them in a tour of our university's agricultural production fields and greenhouses, which was led by the lady pictured with the guys above.While we we're touring the greenhouses several of the people working in them allowed us to take as much vegetables as we wanted! Yup, free veggies. Yeah...my mom would be proud of me for eating those vegetables rather than McDonald's. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to prepare the different types of veggies that we received.
So in my fridge I currently have a bag full of bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and some eggplant. Anyone have any ideas what I can do with them? That's right, suggestions are greatly appreciated and valued when it comes to cooking!
Here is a picture of some students working in the greenhouse. You can see how they take great care in pruning the tomatoes.
Cucumbers!! Yayy!!! I only look like I know what I'm doing.
Here are a couple guys working the fields. They even let Neal and I try till some of the land!
Of course, we did have to work a little to earn our vegetables. And this is how the two guys were looking at Neal and I while we were working:
I can picture what they were thinking about in this picture: "Silly Americans. Their technique makes me laugh."Just an interesting note, the greenhouse that you see pictured behind the guys operates year-round. So during the winter, vegetables are still being produced.

You goon!!! of course green chilis are a fruit. MMM I think I'll have a green chili cheese burger for lunch. That sounds really good. Also its about time you did some manual labor for once. I bet your hands are all blistered and you probably only tilled for like 30 seconds. CODY RULES!!!!
yo brotha... you know what you should do with all those veges??? boil, mash em, stick em in a stew! hah!
Seriously Fluff you should be a little more edifying to our brown brother from another mother, and on that note, i'm having enchiladas tonight. seriously though they aren't good at all. and JAYNE RULES!!! Wo Ai Ni, wo de peng yo!!
Pey, I know what you should do with all those veggies, if you still have them - bring them to the office! You will not believe it but we, especially the ladies there, are the biggest veggies fans! Hey, we approved your microwave, I want some veggies in return!!!
:-)
Masha
Hey Peyton! As it is that you have been blessed with internet access you can search for reciepes online...especially for the egg plants. I'm pretty sure you can find a pizza reciepe...mmm. Anyway, if you think the above suggestion requires too much time, or is too "girlie" to perform...let me know, and I'll look on your behalf. It all sounds good bro...keep pressing on!
PT!!!...Glad to see you're doing well...this might be a long stretch, but a salad always works if you can find some lettuce....lol
Hey bro; you need to use your resources! You have "M" there that can cook up a storm. When I was there he cubed up some cucumbers, tomatoes, and maybe some green onions (which I thing that bell peppers would work nicely) and put in a spoonful or two of mayo and a half a spoonful of apple viniger. YUM! Ask him about it. You'll have a nice salad to go with your fatty-patatty hamburger. :)
Hey Dude!
You been here to "Zhong Guo" and you are from New Mexico; if you can not come up with something to cook with veggies, then your momma should be ashamed of you! Seriously, it is great to hear from you and that things are going well there. Oh, and the thought of you doing some serious labor is quite humorous!!!! Love you bro!
What up Brown Town!!!! Just thinkin about you and hopin all is well. I heart you Bro
Hey peyton, I hope you can apply those good gardening techniques when you get back. It's always good to have fresh vegies from your own backyard. By the way deep fried eggplant (sliced 1/8-1/4 of an inch) dredge in flour with salt and pepper is good with rice and a little bit of soy sauce. love you nakung!
I saw this random comment from DRank about you giving money to some guy with without a leg. Just curious what story goes with this comment!?!?!!?!!
Leave your response